Monday, October 02, 2006

collectionitis

As I was choosing a movie to watch yesterday night, I wondered how many DVDs I would keep if I had to choose. Glancing quickly at my collection, I realized that the justification I had for a DVD purchase a few years back ("I want to have this in my collection") was vastly different from the one I hold today ("I want to have the movies I love, admire, and that I can watch anytime"). I currently own around 90 DVDs, and most of them were bought when I first got into the format, in 2000-2003. Now I only buy 4-5 a year, max, and I tend to go for rentals or downloads to watch supposedly good movies I haven't seen, instead of trying to find a steal on amazon.com or a local secondhand store.
Thus I decided to see how many movies I would keep if I had to make radical cuts in my collection, to say 20-25 items. After all, these are proven films for me, not simply movies I feel I should have because they're "good" and I "might get into them". Sure, that boxset of the Godfather trilogy was cheap, but knowing I don't like Mafia movies that much, why did I feel the need to own it instead of trying to borrow it from a friend ?
The movie I ended up watching that night, The Graduate, would definitely be number one on my list of desert island DVDs. Now all I need to do is find its 20 brethren and I'll be set for a while.

No comments: