Friday, October 06, 2006

the first time

before the glorious days of high-speed internet and Napster at work (r.i.p.), and way before myspace or bittorrent ever existed, finding and listening to new music was pretty low-tech. For me it generally involved scouring amazon.com looking for listmanias based on some albums I liked and reading the user comments to get an idea of how that CD was. Listening to song snippets (snippet, what a wonderful word) was useful too, but back then amazon only had the first five songs available for listening to, and the quality wasn't that great. So often i'd have a pretty good idea of whether I'd like an artist or band I'd newly discovered, but I still had to take a leap of faith in buying and actually liking the CD.
That's exactly what happened with Red House Painters. I was looking for some slow indie rock music back in the late 90s, when I first got into that genre (aka shoegaze, slowcore...). I saw a bunch of great comments on amazon about their album Songs for a Blue Guitar, just before leaving for NYC to go spend Xmas with the folks. So when I went present shopping at the 34th St HMV, I made sure to look for it, and, even though it was priced ridiculously high ($17.99+ tax I think it was), I had a hunch it would be good. That night we left for 3-4 days of skiing in Vermont, and I was presented with my first opportunity to listen to it. The road was half-empty, the car silent, thus the mood perfect for me to enter the world of Mr Mark Kozelek. To this day I will remember the melancholy and simultaneous joy I felt at hearing such perfect music. The first track Have You Forgotten, about a man who reminisces about his life, immediately entered my personal top ten after, oh... 21 seconds. The voice, the instrumentation, the lyrics; it was all there. And the rest of the album was just as life-affirming (as much life-affirming as sad-sack music can get, anyway), varying between slow, mournful numbers (Have You Forgotten, Song For A Blue Guitar, Trailways) and more enthusiastic mid-tempo rockers (All Mixed Up, Long Distance Runaround). I'd consider the Red House Painters to be my favorite band of all-time, and that first taste of their music will definitely stick with me for a long time. I've got a couple of other personal moments in which RHP music was prominently featured, and it is my hope that many others have felt the same bond to a band's music, through a specific moment in their lives, as I have. If I were part of a Cameron Crowe movie, this is where I'd say it is how music becomes part of the fabric of our lives. Cheesy, but true

No comments: