Monday, October 23, 2006

hope and despair

after talking about my anticipation toward Children of Men, I owed it to this fascinating blog to post a follow-up. I did see the movie this weekend, and, without giving away any sort of spoilers as I hate those, and you should too, I loved it. Nay, I blooooody loved it (I need to get used to using words like bloody more often). The film is a bleak and somber tale about a future that does not seem so far-fetched, and Alfonso Cuaron does wonders with the script. His directing was some of the best I've seen in ages. There's one tracking shot in particular that still resonates with me now, as if I'd just exited the movie theater.
The acting is top-notch, with Clive Owen affirming his weight throughout the whole film, but really, no actor here does not do a good job in my mind (Michael Caine in particular is impeccable). The thing about Owen is he's a smooth man, like movie actors are wont to be, but he's also got that edge that other suave types like George Clooney or Brad Pitt seem to lack. Therefore he comes off as highly believable in roles that need him to be world-weary, such as this one.
The movie actually was pretty different from what I initially thought it would be, but in fact that made in even more powerful and I was completely caught up in the action and progression of the story. The last 45 minutes or so were unbelievably tense, and I have to congratulate Cuaron for that. If he keeps on making movies as brilliant as this one, he can definitely make as many Harry Potter ones as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately the movie isn't showing in that many theaters, even though it came out just last Wednesday, so I hope it can still achieve some sort of word-to-mouth success. I know I might go see it again with a friend, I hope the second viewing will confirm my first impression.
Lastly, since loud statements tend to be the only thing that matter anymore, let me end this by proclaiming: best movie of 2006 so far. Bring it on, Clint.

No comments: