Tuesday, October 24, 2006

brewster's millions

although I've been working out of college for 3+ years now, and despite my financial background, I don' have a particular financial and/or investment strategy. Mostly because I don't try to save up as much as I could/should. You know, life is short/par-tay/woo-hoo and all of that. Still last month I had some spare cash lying around, and as an experiment of sorts, I decided to buy some Apple shares with it. The price back then was 72.87, so I didn't go too wild on my purchase order, but I thought the company had good prospects for the coming months, and I would see where the stock would be at at the end of the year.
Well, it's now about a month later, and the stock is sitting pretty at 81.46, on the basis of a strong Q3 (that's 3rd quarter for you non-boring, non-financial types) earnings report . Basically a 11.7% return in 4 weeks (a bit less if you count transaction costs). Of course nothing is sure when it comes to the stock market, but this whole deal has got me interested in learning more, especially when it comes to long-term stock-buying strategies. Managing money is generally tedious, unless you try to understand the forces at play. Then it becomes much more interesting proposition, although still not as enthralling as blogging, especially about money.

No comments: