Monday, October 30, 2006

mellow my man

don't know if this is considered "normal" or not, but I eat soup pretty much year round. Winter, Spring or Fall, and even Summer, it doesn't matter, soup is an unequivocal part of my major food groups (along with diet Pringles and kiwis). I started being a fan last year, and I've kept the habit since.
For some reason, people whom I tell this tidbit do not react well to it. Like they're part of the no-soup-when-it's-warm church and I've just committed the ultimate sin. I never got it, if you like eating something, why would you set boundaries as to when you can eat it ? Seriously, pizza for breakfast isn't that bad. Speaking of ridiculous, my Mom had this "rule" when we were kids that we were'nt supposed to drink water when we had soup. I don't know if it's something that's detailed in the handbook of good manners, which I've clearly not been handed yet, but it never failed to perplex me or my brothers. It's definitely entered the family lore now, just like the fact that we weren't allowed to wear black jeans because "those were for bad boys". Mind you I was about 8 at the time, so I clearly did not give a crap what color were the pants I wore as long as I could run around in them. When I was 15 I actually got a pair of black jeans, but Moms never said anything. Oh, the mysteries of Maternal rules.
Maybe laying out seemingly random and pointless rules is just a game parents play: set the most out-there principle for your kids and see if they'll buy it. In which case I say: I can't wait to be a dad. "Timmy, you know very well you're supposed to use your calculator upside down when doing your math homework in November !"

No comments: