Monday, October 23, 2006

huh ?

last week, while grocery shopping at the Réaumur Monoprix, I noticed stacks of boxes piled up along the exit stairs. A closer look led me to realize these were in fact chocolate boxes for Christmas (you know, Mon Cheri, Ferrero Rocher and their heinie-fattening brethren). I even took a craptastic cameraphone pic of them, but lack of internet access at la casa prevents me from sharing this highly essential piece of pictorial evidence witht the world.
This sort of thing I've come to expect in the US, where I once saw a xmas tree in a store in late September, but I thought France would be immune to the phenomenon. Is it too much to ask to wait till at least November 15 ? As Rob Cordry would say, "I mean come on" . To recap we're still having 20° temperature on most days, and retailers have already started to crank up the xmas machine. I know the Galeries Lafayette have started to put up their decorations and window dressings, so guys in full Santa attire (and your local boulangère wearing a Santa hat) can't be too far behind.
Thus in the spirit of the "if ya can't beat em, join em" strategy, I will be partaking in one of my personal traditions, the annual viewing of Elf, a bit earlier than usual. And to really feel festive, I'll probably pull out my Rat Pack and Sufjan Xmas albums. In the words of Buddy: SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA'S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!

No comments: