Tuesday, October 03, 2006

open letter

amends need to be made: I had listened to Justin Timberlake's new CD, Futuresex/lovesounds a few weeks ago, and did not enjoy it at all. Most of the stuff sounded robotic and cold, most notably the lead single, Sexyback.
Well, after reading what esteemed blogger Donnie Jeter had to say about this release I gave it another shot this weekend, and my views on this album have definitely made a 180. The things that annoyed me after my first listen, I now find brilliant. For instance the two-part, two-beat songs, of which Lovestoned-I Think She Knows is a brilliant example. Seriously, that second part might be the best 2 mins of dance pop I've ever heard (MJ excluded, of course). Or what I thought was cold and distant, I now see as a great throwback to the R&B sounds of the 80s, like Freddie Jackson (you've heard of Freddie Jack, right ?).
And as so often happens in times like these, Sexyback was played in a bar I was hanging out in on Saturday night, so that I could really understand the true power of that song. It's a pretty good song when you listen to it at home or during your commute. But on a Saturday night, in a bar/club, that song is baaaad.
So Justin, consider this a formal apology for not trusting you more the first time around. I can't promise that I won't do it again, but at least I will definitely give your next album a few listens before forming my opinion.

No comments: