Friday, September 29, 2006

fresh baked

this morning before work I stopped by a bakery to get some croissants and chocolatines (chocolate croissants). Initially I wanted to get a couple of each, so i could share some with my co-office dwellers. Once I made my order the lady at the counter started telling me something, but I couldn't understand the words coming out of her mouth. I think it was about a special they were having where you buy x items you get 1 free. I say I think because the combination of my sleepyhead-ness and her fast talking+semi-accent made things a little hairy for the few braincells that were already awake. So I just mumbled "yeah, sure" and she asked me for 3€50 and I got a bunch of croissants and chocolatines back. Overall not a bad deal, but I gotta say that speaking fast to the customer in a foreign accent (honestly I have no idea where the woman was from, maybe Romania ?) is a top-notch sales technique. I mean, maybe 5% of people will throw a hissy fit if this happens, but I'm guessing most people feel too sheepish at 8am to do so and will just have the same reaction I had.
Of course this sales method is not universally applicable. Try this at a bar with drunken patrons and you're bound to be met with more hostility than Mel Gibson at a Bar Mitzvah. Then again, when drunk people get into a fight, there's a 64% chance they're gonna end up hurting themselves and not you, so you might have a good strategy after all, if you're into that sort of thing.

No comments: