Thursday, October 12, 2006

dub-dub-dub

when computers work, they're the best thing ever invented, but when they're acting up, you feel as though you'd rather be back in the stone age. Right now my Apple laptop has been suffering from the stupendous Random Shutdown Syndrome. And by random, I mean really random. Sometimes it'll work fine for a couple of days, then start shutting down for no reason. Since it's not an issue that's going to go away magically, as it stems from hardware and not software, I've finally managed to back up my precious data (okay, mostly 50 GB of music) to an external HD, and this weekend I'll be dropping it off for repairs.
In the meantime I've set up my other computer, a Mac Mini, in my room so I could listen to my music and surf the Web. But for some reason its wifi connection is spotty. Unless I can fix that, I won't have access to the Internet (not to sound like a geek, but: oh nooooo) once the laptop is in the shop.
Apple computers are still the best thing I've ever tried in the area, compared to PCs I've tried, when it comes to reliability. But when something like this happens, it almost makes one pine for the good old days of pre-Internet. Or not.

No comments: