Tuesday, April 24, 2007

conundrum

tomorrow, for me, means a cornucopia of good tidings, almost too many to handle in fact. Witness:
  • though not a surprise, tomorrow is hump day. One should never discount the psychological boost of hump day
  • my co-favorite soccer team, Liverpool, is playing a hugely important Champion's League semi-final game against local mega-rich club Chelsea. There are many fans of Chelsea at the office, but us 'Pool fans have the heart of a champion. To mark the occasion I will wear my best red tie tomorrow, to counter the ocean of blue ones that should be present.
  • 2007 Swedish phenom Loney, dear (he of sound advice 2 unfame) is playing a show near my place. He's not due to play again in London for the present, so this might be my last chance to see him play in a while.

Thus a dilemma presents itself to me: should I watch my team play in a game which promises to be both intense and spectacular, or go see my main man Emil Svanängen for my first gig in two months? If I don't watch the game the sport fan part of me will feel like I'm potentially missing an event people will be talking about...at least until next week's return game at Liverpool. On the other hand the Loney gig will probably have a bevy of cute indie chicks, and probably many Swedish ones as well, with many dudes staying home or at the pub to watch the game? Of course my intentions are gentlemanly, but I've only been here a few months, I'm not above making new friends.
But of course the final decision won't be made on a purely logical standpoint. It'll probably happen on my bus journey home, when I'll have a thought along the lines of "screw it, I'm going to...". After all, whatever happens, by tomorrow night another hump day will be over, and that's always good whatever life choices you may make.

No comments: