Sunday, April 08, 2007

take care

as a huge fan of modern technology-enabled communication means, I love that you can change countries, or even continents and still maintain healthy contacts with your friends and family. Skype, instant messenger and email are all great complements to the traditional phone call. I remember when I was growing up in Asia we'd call my grandma and have this little hour glass thingy to check the length of our phone calls. With Skype that sort of concern is but a faint memory.
Still, more ways to communicate doesn't mean you necessarily do it better, so it's up to one's motivation to make sure distance doesn't put a damper on your personal relationships. For instance this week I sent my first-ever care package to a friend. It only contained a mix CD and a short note, but it's nothing I'd never done before. The reason I did it is I because I often gave compilations of recent musical discoveries to this friend back in Paris and I thought that this gesture would be more appreciated than receiving an email with the same content. The whole process actually felt pretty fun, kinda like I imagine riding a horse buggy might be. I do anticipate I'll try to keep the habit.

Also in the same vein, I tried my hand at a crossword puzzle today. I'm pretty sure the one I tried out (from New York magazine) isn't considered a tough cookie like, say, the NY Times, but it felt nice to work on a potential new hobby. Still, I'm guessing the PSP which I recently bought might win out in the battle for my attention, old-school revivalism or not.

No comments: