Friday, April 20, 2007

animal instinct

as I was walking to the Tube station this morning on my way to work, I happened upon one of those atypical-typical city sightings that make me regret not having my camera on me: a group of four or five policemen on horses on their way nonchalantly making their way down Gray's Inn Road. Apparently they were off-duty or something, because they had some sort of training gear, like they'd gone for a stroll to exercise their equestrian compagnons. I've seen mounted police before, but this was quite unusual to see at the start of rush hour. Of course I kicked myself for being camera-less and just went about my business.
Five tube stops later, I'd just made my way out of the station when I heard the same rumbling of hooves on the pavement, except this time much louder. Apparently all police horses are let out at this hour or something, and here I had a whole gang of them going along Oxford Street, to the bemused attention of passers-by. That's when I remembered I now own a halfway-decent cameraphone, and had the good sense to correct my missed opportunity of 20 minutes before.



And then they blocked a street as they made their way to their stables/police station/who knows where, and people didn't get annoyed but just watched the spectacle as absorbed as four-year olds at a puppet show. It sure was nice.

No comments: