Monday, April 30, 2007

oh dear

it's official, my interest in Loney, Dear has now reached obsession status. Let's see:
- last week I listened to them 163 according to my last.fm, and that's not including my iPod. The actual total is probably twice that figure. And judging from today's listens it doesn't seem like the number for this week will be much lower
- I've viewed every single live video of them on Youtube, including mine (more than once, like I needed to say it)
- I looked at the upcoming tour dates, none of which are planned in London, and was actually trying to see if going to a Wednesday night concert in Brussels was feasible or not. Or a Tuesday-night one in Paris, for that matter
- I bored at least two people with how great they were and how a-ma-zing the concert was. I'm sure I used the word amazing, or awesome, or any other variation of it, more times than a thirteen-year old girl after a Justin Timberlake meet-and-greet at the mall
-I even emailed the guy today to say how much I appreciated the show and his music in general (thankfully managing to keep it under 5 sentences), and he answered me back to say thanks, and I gotta say I felt pretty excited when I saw he'd responded. I'm 29, have a pretty serious job and all of that grown-up stuff, but at that moment it was like I was a LOTR fanboy and Peter Jackson had IMed me "kewl tks"

So basically, yeah, I'm that guy.

This feels very much like Broken Social Scene circa 2003, or Kristofer Astrom circa 1998. Except with these guys I had one album to listen to, whereas in this case I've got four brilliant CDs to digest. And I don't really see how to get out of this bubble of loneyness. I can listen to a couple of songs by other bands, but I invariably get a craving and go back to my North Korean-like mono-programming.
Music, it's that serious.

No comments: