Wednesday, April 18, 2007

St Cloud-stock

the initial lineup for this year's Rock En Seine festival was recently released, and unfortunately it looks like I won't be making the trip back to attend. Having been two years running, I'm a big fan of the concept: major rock bands as well as smaller acts playing in a nice park on the outskirts of Paris, enabling you to experience a rock festival without that funky tent smell. This year ReS is scheduled over three days, as opposed to two, meaning more bands will be there, but there really aren't any that pass my personal test: would I pay the full ticket price just to see this one group? Of course I didn't go before just for one band, but each time I found one of the days where there was a band I loved and a few I was interested in, and was very happy overall. Like Broken Social Scene last year, which played a great , life-affirming show, under light rain which actually made the experience more memorable.
Among the acts programmed so far are Arcade Fire, The Hives, Jesus And Mary Chain, Klaxons, Tool, Bjork and Craig Armstrong. Out of these I guess Arcade Fire would narrowly pass my test, because I have tremendous love for their songs, but I saw them two years ago (at ReS) and do not feel the need to see them again. Seeing JAMC live is an intriguing prospect at best, and out of the other announced bands (with more to come) there's none that really blow my mind. The 3 day pass goes for 98 euros, so I'm guessing a day pass will be around 40 ducats. Not that outrageous if I was seriously into 2-3 acts, but as it stands I'd just rather go to some indie shows in London here and then. Like Loney, dear on April 25 at a venue 5 mins from my place (I am so wearing shorts and flip-flops to that one), or Grizzly Bear and Band of Horses in May at Scala. Music is one of the rare artforms where smaller often means better, so until I get tired of overpriced beer and generally feeling old at these things, I will do my best to keep my indie-yuppie cred alive.

No comments: