Thursday, May 10, 2007

when it's gone

because having a typically intense day at work can get boring, sometimes it's nice to spice it up with some unplanned mishap Today for me that was finding out someone had used my credit card to the tune of 2,000 euros over the week-end. The kicker? I never lost the card, it's actually sitting pretty (and useless since I had it cancelled) in my wallet. So some hacker got my number who knows how, and managed to withdraw some money in the US with it. Thankfully I checked my account today, and managed to spot the offense. After a good few phone calls and visit to the nearest police station I was able to send a simple letter to my bank letting them know about the incident, saying in effect "please sir, may I have my money back? I pinky swear it wasn't me".
Still the feeling out of this isn't a very pleasant one, and proof that when it comes to credit card fraud, there's no fool-proof system. Regularly checking your bank balance and operations is the only way to be sure nothing malicious has happened to you. And even then the repayment process can take up to a month, so you better not have an urgent need for that money.

No comments: