Tuesday, May 15, 2007

eenie-meenie-meinie-moe

besides the job itself there are many things that I enjoy about my new work environment, but one of the main ones has to be the proximity to multitudes of places to get lunch. I eat at my desk most days, have done so for a few years now (I find it's just more efficient, and see the time needed to go get the food as enough of a mental break before getting back to the grind), but at my previous workplace I only had a couple of places to choose from, which got very dull very quickly. Going to the same sandwich place every day probably played a part in my feeling restless and ready to move on (and the bland Issy Les Moulineaux area I was based in did not help matters much), which isn't that ridiculous a claim when you think about it.
Now I've got all the choice in the world, which doesn't guarantee that I change every day, but at least I exit my building most lunch breaks not knowing where I'll end up at. While my life isn't sad enough (yet?) for that fact to actually have me excited, overall it is a nice change. There's the typical (Pret, delis, Cafe Whatevers), the budget (Boots, Marks), the bad-bad-bad (KFC, Pizza Hut) and then there's Selfridge's Food Hall. Consisting of several food stands, from the pretty mundane Square Pie one to an oyster bar, there is no way you can enter it and not come out with something. Recently I've been trying out the Mediteranean section, where the shish tawouk is something special, and the organic section which does a killer berry juice smoothie. This being Selfridge's, the bill generally comes out pretty steep, but that's mostly because you're always tempted to get something extra. The other day I noticed they sold some French yogurts, and almost got some to stock in the fridge at work, as I've been very underwhelmed by the local yogurt situation so far. So whereas before I'd hesitate between the chicken salad and a chicken sandwich, comparatively now I feel like those little kids entering Willie Wonka's factory.

No comments: