Sunday, May 27, 2007

somewhere

after a week in which I went out every single night (capped by the inevitable Friday night pub session, which even though you come home at 11 make you feel as though the night's been much much longer than that), the prospect of a three-day weekend with most everyone I know here away gallivanting in the countryside or in foreign lands was looking might fine.
Of course it has since been raining almost continuously, but such was my motivation to spend the ultimate low-key weekend (highlight so far: watching West Side Story) that the weather has almost been validation of my plans: this rain means it is my destiny for me not to do anything.
Being sociable and meeting people is great, but sometimes you just gotta hang out with yourself for a while, funny how some people (read: certain ex-girlfriends) never seem to understand that. And I do have a museum session planned with a girl from work tomorrow, so it's not I'm holed up junkie-style for three days, but the "lesson" here is that getting away from it all doesn't necessarily mean moving to a cabin in the woods and eating canned beans.

3 comments:

londongirl said...

Absolutely - time to sit around, watch rubbish telly, have baths, eat whatever you want, have siestas - is essential! And even better if the weather's so rubbish that you couldn't have done much else.

rhino75 said...

I think ideally everyone needs regular time alone, doing nothing. It's often when I'm in my pyjamas, staring blankly out the window and clutching a cup of steaming coffee that I have my best thoughts. I think, anyway. Proust had his madeleine, I have my Figolu fig roll. QED.

Iain said...

this rain means it is my destiny for me not to do anything.

I've definitely used that one before!