Sunday, November 05, 2006

running on cloud nine

one of the biggest news in 2006 in the running consumer market has been the collaboration between Nike and Apple, two of the more effective companies in marketing new products, to release the Nike+ line of products. Representing a first in the marriage between sports and technology, this partnership is symbolized by the introduction of a series of Nike athletic wares (shoes, apparel...), as well as a special kit that can be linked to an iPod nano to enable runners to track their performance. With the nano thus set up, you can follow your progress in real time through your headphones, as you are running, and have it compared to certain objectives you've set up beforehand. For instance if your objective was to run 10Km and you run 11, a voice will come on over the music to let you know so. The really snazzy part of this apparatus is that you simply hook up the ipod to your computer to update your stats (through itunes) and view the results over time on the nike+ website.
When I started running seriously, around 4 months ago, this deal had just been announced, and I thought I'd be buying the kit as soon as it was released. I'd just bought a new nano, and back then could not envision running without my music (though I mostly used my old iPod mini to do so). But one day I tried running without music, to see how it felt, and I haven't looked back since. So when the kit was finally released in France in October, my interest had waned considerably.
Although I'd been running for 4 months, I hadn't invested in proper running shoes yet, so when I started feeling sore in one of my knees after the past few runs, I thought now was the time to do so. I scoured a few sports stores on Saturday but did not find a whole lot of models made specifically for running. Mostly they had the Nike Shox ones, in a whole slew of colors, which is great for fashion, but I've heard they're horrendous for running, so I finished my shopping trip empty-handed. Faced with the prospect of yet another run ending in discomfort today, I motivated after lunch and hit the Champs Elysees Nike store to try to find something there. Some "serious" runners have alleged that Nike is just a marketing company and that their shoes are not to par, but I've had a few in the past and haven't felt any different with the other brands I've had the opportunity to try, like Adidas or New Balance. Well except for the Shox, that is.
The first thing I saw when entering the store was a stand with all the Nike+ products. Since I'm not looking to run with my iPod, at least for the time being, I quickly headed to the basement floor where the men's section is. The Nike store on the Champs isn't as extensive as the other Niketown stores I've been to (in NYC and London), but it's got a decent selection. As I was looking at the different models I got to talking with a salesperson about how I was looking for a shoe that would feature maximum cushioning with a lightweight frame. To my surprise he recommended the zoom Moire, which are part of the afore-mentioned Nike+ line. I say surprise because they seemed so light and constraint-free that they would seem rather more suited to shorter runs. Of course it is possible that the guy was just trying to push one of his newer models, but considering that they had much more expensive shoes for sale, I'm guessing his advice was at least partly genuine. I tried them on and, lo and behold, they did feel mighty comfortable. Thus I quickly laid out the dough to buy them, almost giddy at the prospect of a pain-free run.
Later that afternoon, I took the shoes out for their first spin, and my initial feeling was completely confirmed. Not only are they light and very-well cushioned, they're very responsive. I throw in a few sets of stairs in my usual route, and every time I did one, I felt as if someone had added some mini-trampolines in my shoes. Quite a good surprise, I have to say.
Of course they weren't perfect, as I feel my feet weren't quite used to the shoes yet (or is it the other way round). But overall I'd say my initial run with these shoes was the equivalent of a good first date with no awkward silences. You don't find perfection on your first try, but getting some sort of familiarity so soon is a sign of great things to come. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to plan the second date, um run. I just have to figure out if I'm going to follow the two day rule or not or if I'm going to boldly wait for three.


No comments: