Thursday, November 16, 2006

a real tragedy

when it comes to comedy, I'm a pretty basic guy. Being a child of the 80s, weaned on American pop culture, it was all about Eddie Murphy (remember when he used to be funny, nay hilarious ?), Bill Murray or Steve Martin. Some slapstick humore, a touch of witticism with funny faces and TA-DA, you've got comedy gold. Of course it's all about personal taste when it comes to humor, taste which is generally molded during one's childhood (it's probably why I don't find Les Bronzés that funny, although I did love Le Pere Noel Est Une Ordure), but those types of movies, like Caddyshack or The Jerk, are at the apex of the genre to me.
However recently I've noticed a noticeable dearth of good comedies. Hollywood still cranks them out faster than a cheetah on steroids, but mostly they're hit-and-miss : some chuckles here and there, but a lot of blanks in between. In the past few years I really enjoyed two comedies: Old School (which is genius) and Elf. The fact that both star comedy savant Will Ferrell is certainly no stranger to that. Good comedies aren't merely about good writing and wacky situations, though those certainly help, but principally great characters. The other so-called comedy blockbusters I've seen (40 Year Old Virgin, Wedding Crashers, The Break Up, have all failed to wow me, often because I'm tired of comedies trying to be romantic comedies at the same time. Last I checked girls enjoy laughing (a fact that represents 95% of my flirting "technique"), and do not need to have those cheesy romance elements to enjoy a comedy.
But this grim outlook on the state of comedies could very well change this week, all due to one heroic undertaking: the release of Borat, the movie (subtitle: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazhakstan). It tells the tale of the eponymous character, a Khazak journalist intent on traveling through the US of A to find out more about the country and teach them about his. Needless to say, hi-jinks WILL ensue. It's filmed as a documentary, and is based on the character created by Sacha Baron Cohen for his TV show. I'm just saying this in case my 5 daily readers are the ones that might've never heard of the guy, so incessant has been the hype. Which it should, based on stunts like this. I've enjoyed his TV skits for a while now, and I'm overjoyed to know that very soon (tonight, actually) I'll be enjoying 86 glorious minutes of the man who brought "sexy time explosion" into the common lexicon.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Matt, just been to see this film Borat, really the funniest thing I've ever see. I felt quite ill because I laughed so much.

The chicken on the underground and the dinner party, I don't know how he got away with it.

Just come back from Paris had a great time over there.

matt said...

yea those were some of the many insane moments of the film (the naked wrestling ??? ohmygod). Overall I left the theater a bit dissapointed, but that was probably due more to my unreasonably high expectations. Guess I should do a followup post or something