Monday, November 20, 2006

shoe-in


apparently shoe sizes are now as random as celebrity baby names (fun fact of the year: Jason Lee's kid is named Pilot Inspektor. Yes, Pilot Inspektor. The fact that it is based in part on a Granddaddy song does not even begin to redeem this horrible decision, even in bizzaro hipster world). Usually a size 44 person, this weekend I went to the Alter Mundi store (Google maps), which sells environment-friendly and fair-trade products, to find a gift for some newly-wed friends, and ended up buying myself some Veja trainers, size 42. Never before had I bought shoes in a size below 43 1/2, but whatever works I guess. The funny thing is I recently bought another pair of trainers which are size 45 and both pairs are pretty much the same size, give or take half an inch.

If you haven't heard of them, Veja is a young French brand which makes its shoes in Brazil using local producers according to fair-trade principles. Their sneakers are beginning to be more and more popular on the streets of Paris, which is a good thing because it might mean that other brands will follow suit and design fashionable ethical apparel or shoes.

Their first models were textile-based, kind of like low-cut Converse, and they've just released a leather shoe, which felt so comfy and light that I decided to purchase a pair on the spot. Since my Onitsuka Tigers are about to give their last breath, I felt these would be a worthy successor.


But without a doubt, the real highlight of my weekend was watching the amazing Half Nelson. Featuring extraordinary performances by Ryan Gosling (best young actor working today) and Shareeka Epps, as well as the always-perfect music of Broken Social Scene, this movie definitely warrants itself a whole post. The director, Ryan Fleck, manages to look at a tough yet cliche-burdened subject like drug addiction in a refreshing and engaging manager, and the whole thing left me quite moved. Still not better than Children of Men, but I've definitely found my 2nd favorite movie this year. Two movies which I will probably own on DVD when they come out, something I hadn't done for recent flicks since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I guess that's why you should always wait until the very end of the year to make up your annual top 10 lists.

No comments: