Monday, August 14, 2006

raindrops keep falling on my head

seeing as I'd run only twice during the week, I told myself yesterday I was going to go running so I could reach my goal for the week. I usually go around 9pm, but by 7 it was raining pretty heavily, and the forecast wasn't exactly calling for bright skies that night, so I went anyways.
At first it was pretty much a downpour, and though it did eventually let up a little, it still rained/drizzled continuously through my 1h15min run.
The reason I decided to go, and did not reduce the length of my run, was that I had set an objective, as part of a broader running plan to regularly run 3 times a week. Not going for weather reasons wasn't an acceptable excuse for me because it would kind of set a precedent in my mind that it was okay to not go. Sure, I might not have gone if it had been thunderstorm weather, but simple rain could not prevent me from achieving what I'd decided. I've already run in the rain, but this it the first time I've actually started running while it was raining.
Motivation to run is essentially a mental thing. I never really feel tired to run, or at least nothing that will last more than the initial 15 mins, so I know that I basically need to get my wheels turning, as it were, to get into a comfortable groove. The type of weather I encountered yesterday was just another impediment, kind of like having a light headache, or having some stuff to do at home.
Plus, I really like running in the rain. It keeps you refreshed and makes people stay away from my running route. Ideal conditions, if you think about it.

No comments: