Friday, August 11, 2006

iChange

i'll tell ya, today technology moves so fast that it's not even about the new new thing anymore. Now it's more like the new new new new thing, and what's in today is already out by the time you read this sentence. One example is the whole Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD thing, even though in my view, people have only recently gotten comfortable with DVDs. Of course it's not because manufacturers are fighting over establishing a new standard that people will fall over themselves to replace their old equipment, but the movement toward faster technological change is clearly speeding up more and more.

I've always tried to keep up with modern gadget trends, having been the possessor of a walkman, discman and minidiscman pretty quickly. Same goes for the DVD player. I came to the iPod relatively late, since I waited till the 3rd generation to get one, but i've bought two others since, so I'm now firmly entrenched on that bandwagon. My latest is a 6 Gb silver iPod mini, which I bought in April of 2005, after recognizing that my 40 Gb iPod was a bit too much for everyday commuting (song- and weight-wise). Then a few months later, Apple released the nano, an even lighter and slicker gadget than the mini. Sure, apparently there were some issues with its scratch-proofness, but overally I gotta admit it's a pretty smooth toy. They've now released the nano in a 4 Gb version, which is pretty much the minimum amount of space I like to have so I can have a mix of new tunes and classic tracks on me at all times.
But despite all that I've had no intention of getting a replacement for my trusty mini. I've dropped it countless times and it's pretty banged up, so I know it's sturdy enough for my lifestyle, and looks-wise I actually think the aluminum shell looks better than that plastic coating the nanos have.

Still, recently I've heard rumors of a new nano coming out this year, supposedly with a 8 Gb hard drive. I have to admit that if this were released, possibly under €300, I would be very tempted. I don't have the need for the video capabilities on my iPod, because I can already watch videos on my cell-phone, and I generally prefer to read (and listen to music) while commuting, but an 8 Gb iPod in that small of a form-factor, I would definitely be interested in. Plus the Nike+iPod kit is compatible with the nano (and not the mini), so that would be a huge factor in favor.

Technology evolves rapidly, sure, but I've found that if you have a clear view of what features you look for and need in a device, you don't feel as much envy when all the new models come out. That way it's easier not to be tempted when you judge your expectations haven't been met yet, and thus save money for that time (aka 6 months later) when the next one will come out.

No comments: