Saturday, June 23, 2007

it's never over

after three months at my new job I managed yesterday to accomplish a feat I hadn't even come close to doing since starting work: go straight home on Friday night without stopping by the pub for "a quick one". Hanging out at the pub on Thursday (which I did do this week) and Friday has been a great way to get to know people at my company, and I've definitely been active on that front since joining the company. But yesterday I just felt like I needed an early exit, and try for some peace and quiet. So I left a little after 6, went home, called up a few friends/family, watched some Planet Earth while eating seedless grape and had an all-around most excellent evening. I love my new working environment and the people I've met, but I have to admit a mellow evening can be the best thing in the universe once in a while.
However because I hadn't finished all the stuff I wanted to do this week I had to go back for a few hours today. Just like going to the corner pub, clocking in on Saturday is a thing I've done pretty much every week since starting, mostly because when time comes to leave on Friday evening I always feel there's a few things I would like to finish up. And Saturdays offer up the perfect opportunity to do them, what with the central location (I'd be less motivated if the office were in Canary Wharf, that's for sure), an office that's uncharacteristically quiet and my actual bona fide excitement for the job. Oh, and on my desk I've got this:


Which means I can do this:
The real connoisseurs will recognize that this is, in fact, a French jar of Nutella, not one of the clearly inferior local products. Don't ask me why, but it just tastes better. And that's not just my arrogant French side talking, I've put other world experts to the test, and my claim won hands down, Pepsi challenge-style.

Anyway as scheduled I went into work around lunchtime today, but on my way there got a little sidetracked as I kept remembering stuff I had to buy. Thus did I end up making one of the most eclectic unplanned shopping errands in human history. Check out the booty:
- The Guardian
- guitar strings and a capo (now if I could actually learn to play the damn thing)
- a tennis racket
- a shirt from Gap
- a nice bottle of single malt whiskey for my dad (delivered to Paris so he can have it on his birthday)
- a DVD (Heat, bought for the third time)

All this in the span of about 45 minutes, now that's some pretty efficient, if random, buying.
After these numerous stops I finally made my way to mi segundo casa, armed with some oh-so delicious EAT soup (discovery of the month, for sure) and worked until 5:30pm, when I took the bus home like it was any other weekday. Now the only problem is that whenever I get home from work on the weekend I tend to be a little sapped of energy, if only mentally. I've got drinks in Soho semi-planned in a few hours, but I don't know if I'll make my way there yet. Which is where the Thursday night corner pub habit comes in handy: even if I stop going for some pints on Friday evenings as much as before, there's always the previous night. So I'm calling it now: Thursday's the new Friday.

No comments: