Sunday, June 24, 2007

a couple of doorsteps away

while the UK does not have quite the level of coziness found in French vacation laws, the paid leave regimes are still more than decent here, especially compared to countries like the US or worse, Japan. I once met two Japanese girls on the train to Versailles who explained to me without any sort of resentment that they had six days off per year, so in effect their three-day weekend to "visit" Paris represented half of their yearly allotment. Yikes indeed. At my current job I get a yearly equivalent of a little less than 4 weeks (having joined mid-year I obviously will not get my full due in 2007), which is plenty enough in my present lifestyle.
Still, this summer will be the first time since graduation that I won't be taking some sort of extended vacation. For one I feel I'm still in a learning stage at work, and would rather soak up as much of it right now as I can. And secondly even should I have the potential for more time off, I don't have any interesting trip ideas anyway at least with travel-mates involved. I've traveled solo in the past, and it's fine, but I'd like the next sojourn abroad to be a shared experience, which means some measure of planning that wouldn't allow for a last minute decision. There might be a road trip of some sort next year, but for 2007 I will probably keep things close to these shores.
To that effect I've booked 3 weekends (an average of 3 days each) to spend in various locales and with different family members this summer:
- next week in the South at my uncle's, aka the official first beach outing of the year, aka AWESOME
- mid-August at my parents' in Brittany, aka I like change, but not too much
- late August at my grandma's in Brittany, aka crepes-r-us

These trips might not have too great of an effect on my British Airways mileage count but I wouldn't exchange them for a trip to a more tropical destination for anything. Sometimes the simple choice really is enough.

No comments: