Saturday, June 02, 2007

Got To Get You Into My Life

here's a few facts about what may be the best TV show ever:
  • lasted just 19 episodes in 1994, when it was cancelled due to middling ratings
  • was later broadcast on MTV, which means it was shown 47 times per week at one point, which is how I came across it
  • starred a then unknown skinny and unconventionally pretty actress, who became a style icon in the post-grunge world
  • had one of the more realistic portrayals of marriage on a TV show (some good, some bad, a lot in between)
  • featured one of the first non-cliche gay characters on a TV show
  • had a terrific theme song by the TV composer, WG Snuffy Walden
  • included the presence of a heartthrob character so emblematic, millions of women everywhere will forever refer to Jared Leto as "Jordan Catalano"
  • is now available on DVD as a wide release in the UK, after years of online petitions
  • is the TV show equivalent to Death Cab To Cutie to me: it gets sad and emo at times, but never pathetic, and more importantly, feels pretty true to life. Which isn't what I generally associate with TV programming

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about My so called life? I loved this show, what a pity there wasn't a second season. And Jordan Catalano ... always thinking of this when I see Jared Leto

matt said...

you got it right Cha, glad to see you're a fan too.
I used to lament the short duration of this show but over the years I've realized this was also a good thing, as it didn't have time to suck