Saturday, January 27, 2007

sound advice 1 - Arcade Fire

since posting about my desire to write more regularly about music I've been thinking about what artist or band I could start with. I listen to a wide variety of music genres, and asking me my current favorite album pretty much depends on what minute you ask me. Writer's block this was not, more like writer's indecision. And then something pretty big happened, in a way that is now the norm on this here Internet: the new Arcade Fire album, due for release on March 6, was leaked yesterday. Therefore I will start things off with a bang, and talk about this quirky fantastic band from Montreal.
Started by a husband and wife duo in 2003 and composed of seven members with additional musicians during tours, the band quickly gained exposure in the indie world through their frenetic live performances, which showcased the group's affinity for instruments not traditionally part of the rock canon, such as violins, xylophones and, um, helmets. Having seen them live I can attest to the extraordinary positive energy one feels while attending an AF concert, and can only hope I'll have the opportunity to see them again. At its apex it feels like you're witnessing an out-of-control orchestra, except everything makes sense, sonically. The buzz that was established during these gigs was confirmed with the North American release of their debut album, Funeral, in late 2004. Thematically devoted to death, this album nonetheless captured the imagination of many a-bloggers and music fans with its ingenious lyrics, epic hooks and bombastic yet sorrowful harmonies. The album benefited from a major buzz campaign and eager reviews in most of the major music magazines, from NME to Spin, and with the added benefit of continuous touring, the band made itself tons of fans in a hurry, among which many famous ones such as David Bowie or U2, for which AF opened 3 shows on their 2005 Vertigo tour.
So of course in such a case there is mucho excitement for the sophomore release, a step which is often a big stumbling point for many indie bands. Well I am glad to report that it seems that, musically at least, the Arcade Fire have sidestepped that obstacle. There are some elements new to the AF universe, like the stately organ used on "My Body Is A Cage" or the banjo on "Keep The Car Running", but the most important thing, the one that has enamored this band to so many people around the world, utter and true emotion, is still there. I'm sure that I'll be listening to this record for the coming weeks, dissecting it the same way as I dissected its predecessor, and my opinion will deepen, from an overall feeling of satisfaction to a detailed impression of each song. For now I can say that 2007, with this release but also that of The Shins and Bloc Party's albums (who were both leaked a few months back), promises to be a great year on the rock front.

Offical site for the new album
Offical site for the band
The band's myspace
(with a song from the album, Black Mirror)

No comments: