Wednesday, January 03, 2007

cos this is the new year

the funny thing about New Year's Eve celebrations is how many people complain about it. One of the gripes I've heard the most this year is how it's a "forced celebration". I guess when you know the date of a party in advance, it makes the party "forced", and thus sucks the fun out of it. Since that's how pretty much 99% of parties happen, I guess we should boycott all of them and see what gives.
I'm not saying NYE is the best party of the year, it rarely is. But it also one of the rare nights of the year when most people seem happy, and it's often a good opportunity to meet new folks. In my experience the best way to enjoy the event is to not put too much thought into its preparation. This year I was in London and went to a black-themed party (everyone dressed in said color) and it was good fun. Not the best party of the year, but good (sorta) drunken fun. And I didn't even have a hangover the following morning. Really, what more could you want ?

No comments: