Monday, January 22, 2007

ch-ch-changes

having lived in Paris pretty much non-stop for almost ten years now, I made the decision at the end of last year to move abroad. I grew up in many different countries, from Asia to North America, and moving around is definitely something I got used to. And since I felt like professionally I'd achieved what I wanted when I joined my company (for my first post-graduation job) more than 3 years ago, the moment definitely was right for a move.
Although technically I am of French nationality, due to all the traveling we did when I was a kid, I've acquired a culture that is very much of the English-speaking variety. From US sports, TV shows and music to British literature, as well as the fact that I think mostly in English, I've always felt sort of an outsider since coming back to France when it came to common experiences. Of course living here 10 years has enabled me to learn a lot about the country, its citizens (my compatriots), but I never felt as if I was really where I belonged, hence the title of this blog. Don't get me wrong, I love Paris to death, as well as the other regions like Brittany that I've been lucky enough to travel to, and I'm glad to be near most of my family (especially since my parents are now back to living in Paris after more than 20 years abroad), but deep down I always knew I wasn't here for the long haul.
After looking at Canada for a few weeks, I then settled on the UK, in part because I know and like that country, and also because I felt that it wouldn't be too hard to find a job there. Thus my decision was made and I gave my resignation to HR in late October. I gave them the typical three months' notice, so that I could organize my departure, and, hopefully, start looking for a job.
Well I'm now getting close to the big day, and although I've barely started my job hunt (on account of having much more stuff to do at work than I'd anticipated I would), I've done almost all of the things I had to do before leaving. You know, canceling subscriptions, saying "bye" to people and all that jazz. So in a way this is kind of an adventure for me since I'll be moving abroad without employment, but I'm confident that with my experience and background I'll find something under two months. In any event I've been careful to set aside some dough (with help from the 'rents as well) to make sure I have more than 1 month's expenses on hand. So no job at Starbucks for me, at least I hope not :)
I have to say all of this, from preparing the move, to looking at possible apartments and thinking about what job I want to look for, is terribly exciting and the best possible cure for any sort of restlessness I might've felt during the second part of 2006. I feel like London is a great destination for me, be it on a professional or personal level, and I cannot wait to be there.
So with eleven days to spare before I board the Eurostar, I'm busy finishing up what needs finishing up, listening to the Libertines, and generally enjoying all the greatness that Paris has to offer. Of course I'll be back here pretty soon, if only to vote in the upcoming Presidential elections, but it'll be as a Londoner. As the brits say, brilliant !

No comments: