Wednesday, March 07, 2007

something old, something new

although not a music expert by any means, I've come to listen to a lot of music over the years, and appreciate a wide variety of style and artists. As a child of the 80s I have fond memories of the first cassette album I bought (the Dick Tracy soundtrack, score one for artistic integrity), but as the digital revolution has accelerated in recent years, I've also appreciated the ease with which we can now listen, buy and share our music pretty much anywhere. As such I've always been a big fan of peer to peer, as it allows me to listen to stuff before deciding to plunk down some hard-earned cash for it. Of course the whole peer to peer debate is full of grey areas, as it should be, considering how different uses there can be of it. For instance I know people who do not buy any CDs at all, when they would purchase at least one a month before they got into P2P. Myself I consider that if the music is good, the artists/band deserves the money, whatever opinion I may have of the current music distribution system, and also I like to have some sort of physical backup of my music, not just bytes floating accumulating on my hard drive.
My love for music has caused me to frequent many a record stores, and work in one even, but I'd never been truly satisfied with the options offered in Paris. Sure, if you get away from the main merchants some stores are pretty good (Gibert, for one), but I never understood how in the 21st century many CDs were not available because they had not been officially released in France. Sometimes you'd find an (overpriced) import, most times not. So I'd keep going from time to time to these sonic establishments, but more out of habit than from expecting to find that new CD from this indie Canadian band I'd heard of on the net. Mostly I'd order online, through Amazon's vendor system, because it was cheaper, and when you spend as much on music as I do, that kind of thing counts. A lot.
But since moving to the UK I have rediscovered my inner music nerd, going to record stores (or shops, as they say here), talking to the sales clerks and other expressions of tomfoolery. Music is adored here, truly, and by a great deal of people. Here, indie doesn't really mean anything anymore because the Kaiser Chiefs or Bloc Party can, and do, top the charts. People invest themselves in music, as a way to develop their identity probably, which is exactly the sort of quasi-pathetic behavior I exhibit.
And since I'm a big fan of well-stocked chain record stores, I'm pretty much in heaven here. HMVs and Virgin Megastores everywhere, this feels like NYC all over again. One thing I've started doing is checking out the new releases (every Monday they update it with new stuff. crazy!), and if I have the time I do so on Monday. HMV Mondays, I call it, because when you're a consumerist, or at least a pretend-one, you need spiffy labels to justify your irrational need to accumulate earthly possessions. I actually get the feeling that one of these days I'll actually buy a CD from that new releases section, without having listened to it beforehand. Kinda like what I used to do in the olden days. Pretty cool, I think, although I'm not missing the cassette format, and never ever will.

No comments: