Saturday, April 28, 2007

eat simple

making my way up Oxford St yesterday around noon I started to feel the familiar hunger pangs which for some reason are synonymous with shopping for me. Like the automaton that I am, I made a few hops and arrived at my favorite house of snacks, Bar Remo. I hadn't been there in a few weeks, but as soon as I sat down, it was as if the hiatus had never happened. I was greeted with a 'ciao bello' that was even friendlier than usual, and no sooner had I told the waitress I didn't need a menu since I knew what I wanted she actually knew exactly what it was (large diet coke, tuna melt on a ciabatta). Big cities are cool when it comes to trying new restaurants, but I have to say that at times finding a sense of familiarity, especially for a recent arrivee, can make an unfamiliar town feel a whole lot like home. And if there's one thing that's true about eating at home, it's that it can make a delicious tuna melt that much more special.

No comments: